Friday, October 30, 2009

should i just keep quiet?

Well, I decided to do something that didn’t require leaving the house or doing something crazy but something that is right in front of us yet we take no note of. I decided to try speaking Afrikaans and only Afrikaans. Seen as I am English and I failed Afrikaans in matric I thought this would be somewhat of a challenge.

I have come to find many Afrikaans friends and my boyfriend is Afrikaans so the opportunity was right there to grab and hey, maybe I’ll actually learn something. Although I made a complete fool of myself and made no sense to the Afrikaans people around me I spoke Afrikaans the whole day. I found it extremely difficult and felt very judged which took me out of my comfort zone in a huge way.

I have to admit I did try my best but the language was just not as easy to learn as I thought . My friends thought I was hilarious but they also taught me as I went along and made more mistakes, which of cause you can only imagine was even funnier to them. After suffering to make sense and being the joke of the day I can honestly say I learnt a lot about a language that is around me every day. Surprisingly enough I feel good about the fact that I tried and now I have learnt the basics of another language.

No comments:

Post a Comment